THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, March 2, 2013

~God's Got This

As we prepare to leave for MA tomorrow for Joshua's surgery on Wednesday, I have been reflecting on some of God's blessings back in 2010 when we started this "journey." Sometimes one of the best ways to counteract fear and muster up hope is by remembering how faithful God has already been . . .

On August 22, 2010, we were home for the weekend (Joshua was having radiation treatments at the time) and able to attend The Rock. After the service, one of our firends approached us and said that she had been praying for Joshua all throughout the message. She felt strongly that God had directed her to tell Joshua, "Thank you for taking this challenge, this trial. It is for My glory." It has been practically three years since she delivered that message, and yet I *still* get goosebumps thinking about it. She heard God say that He had things that needed to be accomplished through this trial, and He allowed it to happen to Joshua because He knew he’d be faithful. Wow. We never would have thought that we could handle something like this . . . I don’t think anyone really does until they encounter it head-on, and yet God had already deemed Joshua capable.

The point of my relaying this story is NOT to brag about how strong or faithful either one of us was. Not even close. Left to our own devices, we would have crumbled. I constantly tell people that, but for God’s extreme grace, I would likely have been admitted to the local mental hospital. Best case scenario, I would have been doped up on anti-depressants. While these are sometimes necessary resources, and I am not judging anyone who is utilizing them, I was incredibly blessed to see God’s extreme intervention and blessing in our lives. The summer of 2010 presented daily challenges, but in an odd way, I feel honored that God chose us. Yes, it is hard, but the opportunity to showcase His glory far surpasses the struggles. We were, and still are, completely determined to believe God through everything, no matter how many curveballs of life are thrown our way.

On September 6, 2010, our church organized and hosted a community yard sale fundraiser for Joshua and I. To say it was incredible would be an understatement. So many of our friends, and some people that we did not even know, spent countless hours collecting donations, sorting items for sale, advertising for the fundraiser, and helping out at the event itself. We arrived to a building FULL of merchandise and people supporting us. It is almost incomprehensible how blessed we were by their love and encouragement. We were shocked to hear that one couple had spent the entire past week assisting with the preparations . . . and they had never even met us. Their selfless love humbled and overwhelmed me, and I found myself wondering if I would have unselfishly done the same thing for someone I did not even know. Another remarkable man donated numerous items that his wife had cherished dearly. The year before, she had passed away from cancer. The fact that he even cared to help us during his own time of grief was staggering. There was only one item that he wanted to withhold from the yard sale: I believe it was crib, and it must have held sentimental value. He kept feeling like he was supposed to donate the item, but he continued to refuse to do so until the last minute. It turns out that a couple in our church had been praying for that exact item at an inexpensive price. Totally God. One man’s obedience blessed so many lives.

One of Joshua’s nurses showed up at the yard sale to support him. He had previously told her his story about how Jesus was his "superhero" and would get him through this hard time. She relayed to one of our friends how it had inspired her. A man I went to high school with happened to be driving past the church and stopped in to see what was going on. He had been diagnosed with brain cancer and given a limited amount of time to live. However, he chose to believe God through it, and he told Joshua that according to the doctors, he should have been dead two years before that. From what I know, he is a healthy husband and father today, and he has used his circumstances to comfort others with chronic or life-threatening diseases and has even published a book about his experience.

From that event, we were presented with a check for over $10,000.00, but it did not end there. Countless families, some we had never even met, sent encouraging cards and gifts of money. I know that for some of them it was a real sacrifice, and yet they still wanted to bless us. So many people were supporting us and praying for us. At one point, we figured out that people were praying for us across the nation and even in at least four other countries! Another unexpected blessing came from me losing my job with Wells Fargo. The company requested all managers to stay and help close each office. In return, each branch manager would receive a $5000.00 bonus above and beyond their severance pay. My boss had already found a new position with another bank, and he was unable to stay. Knowing my financial situation, he recommended me to fulfill that duty, and with it came the bonus. Losing my job that summer may have appeared to be a burden at first, but I ended up better off because of it. My position with Wells Fargo was only part time, and with Joshua unable to work during treatments, I needed full time employment. I closed Wells Fargo on a Thursday, enjoyed a long weekend, and started my current full time job with TD Bank the following Monday. Even our health insurance benefits worked out perfectly, and we never went without complete coverage. Amazing.

As we drive to MA tomorrow, I know that God is right there with us. As Joshua is wheeled into the OR on Wednesday, God will still be there. He is faithful. I don't understand why we sometimes go through certain trials. I don't know what the end result will be, or how God will choose to work it all for His good. But He will. And he is *always* faithful. And thankfully, that's all I need to know. I say this constantly, and I'll say it again: He's got this.

1 comments:

Haleigh said...

Lindsay, you and Josh have been a light for Christ for me and countless others through this and the past few years. We admire your faithfulness and obedience and are praying with you through this week and beyond. We love you guys!!!!